Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Prof Gobind Swarup (March 23, 1929 – September 7, 2020)

 


Photo from Twitter Tribute    

 A very well made photo-essay on Prof Swarup can be found at https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/govind-swarup-pioneering-radio-astrophysicist-tata-institute-of-fundamental-research/KQIylXP1ZillIg?hl=en

The Wikipedia article on him offers a brief description of his scientific contributions.  

I will say a few words here about my memories of Prof Swarup. My friend Ramesh Sinha and I joined Tata Institute of Fundamental Research more or less at the same time, in 1963. Ramesh joined the Radio Astronomy Group of TIFR. I was completing my project work for my IIT M Tech as an intern in the TIFR Computer Group during the first year and was recruited by TIFR in 1964. Swarup was a member of the Selection Committee that had interviewed me. He was deeply interested in the work I was doing in the computer field – building a real-time data acquisition system. He was keen to equip the Ooty Radio Telescope he was building with an UpToDate data handling system including a real-time computer. Minicomputers were coming of age then. I became an informal consultant to the Radio Astronomy Group. Ramesh and I enjoyed participating in the teams’ decisions in buying India's earliest real-time computers. I had a serious interest in Radio Astronomy and had a number of friends in the group.

An interest I shared with Swarup in later years was education. I will touch upon this by mentioning a June 2011 letter he had written to four of us. It included a copy of an email from another radio-astronomer, Prof Ananthakrishnan, describing a visit to a school with 2600 students. Ananth had been asked to address the top hundred students and found that not one had an idea of wavelength of light, distance of the earth from the Sun, the nature of stars, etc. He pointed out that students were more interested in getting marks in competitive exams and less in real learning. Swarup agreed, and decided to do something about it. He thought often about Indian education in general and what can be done about it. This made him attach to his email a brilliant article by Sanjay Srivastava, “The End of Education”, published in the Open Magazine:
https://openthemagazine.com/features/living/the-end-of-education/ For those of you who want to read more in this direction, I will mention another excellent article: “How Kota became India's capital for educational coaching”,

https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/india-s-garish-free-market-in-education-115123100033_1.html

Prof Swarup’s prodding usually worked at different levels and has had good effect, but talking it about requires another article.

Another act of Prof Swarup that had touched my heart was his attempt to run science related activities for school children in and around the villages surrounding the Giant Meterwave Radio Telescope that the National Centre for Radio Astronomy built under Swarup’s leadership.

A great mind and a caring heart do go together!  Then you find a rare human being, like Swarup! 

Srinivasan Ramani 

 

No comments: